Monday, April 19, 2010

Sewing as a Contact Sport

I think I have the sewer’s equivalent of tennis elbow. Getting ready for the Unique LA Trade Show, I have pricked my finger tips with hundreds of needles, I have a callous on my index finger from cutting with large shears, and my right arm is actually sore, stiff and slow! (Since I’m left-handed, I think my right hand doesn’t get as much of a workout as it’s been getting. And believe me, pushing huge needles through thick African mudcloth is a workout!) In addition, my neck is sore, my back hurts and my fingers are stiff.

As if that weren’t enough, I broke (or seriously jammed) one of my toes when, rushing around the sewing table, I ran into a metal base chair. From now on, I’ll be wearing shoes in the house.

Who knew…? I never ached this much when I was dancing Bob Fosse three times a week!

Just for the heck of it, I google’d “sewing injuries” and found a great article on sewing safety: Safety in the Sewing Room


Rule #1 is worth re-printing:

"Rule Number One: Only cut or sew when you are awake, aware and able to focus. If you are tired, distracted, anxious, upset, rushed or tipsy, you are putting yourself at unnecessary risk of injury. If you insist on being in the sewing room anyway, restrict yourself to tasks that do not involve cutting, sewing or ironing."

I might add another rule: SLOW DOWN
(after the trade show, anyway)….

No comments: