Monday, April 5, 2010

Preview of products

Here's a quick look at some of the products we'll be selling at Unique LA, to benefit the village of Okurase in Ghana. I'm sewing non-stop until April 24 (when I'm not singing)!





My friend Jaime modeling the travel bag. This bag is made from African mudcloth from Ghana, and the large rings attached to the straps are actually 19th century brass curtain rings!
I made clutches in various sizes out of the mudcloth, with metal twist-lock clasps (which were special-ordered and not easy to find, believe it or not).
The new and improved cuff bracelet! I think we've finally perfected this one. There is a stiff plastic, bendable insert sandwiched and glued inside between the fabric layers, and the metal twist-lock clasps make this bracelet very sturdy and durable.

Check out the inside of the clutch. I added a pocket. This interior fabric is actually from Rwanda and purchased in Ghana. I've been told this is the fancy fabric that the village leaders wear. It's a sheen weave with gold filagree on one side. I hated cutting into it...!

Here's the inside of the large travel bag, with that fabulous interior fabric. There are two large dividers inside the bag, and since this photo was taken, I've added two magnetic snaps to keep the two interior panels together. There's a ton of room in here for clothes, socks, papers, books, etc.
And here's a full view of the travel bag.

It's really been exciting to work with such unique fabric, and there's so much more we have planned. I just received a box of amazing batiked fabric in a myriad of vibrant colors. Stay tuned...!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am going to have to make it to the show this year. Laura your work is beautiful, spiritual... gorgeous... just like you!

Anonymous said...

What Melody said! GORGEOUS!++